Sunday, January 6, 2008

Holland House Candles


Holland House Candles was established in 1974. When I was 16 years old, I had the opportunity to open a candle shop on Windmill Island, in Holland, Michigan. It was decided that between my mother and I, we could staff the seasonal shop, and it would be something fun to do while I was in High School.

Well, here we are all these years later, still making candles, still enjoying our livelihood. My parents have long since retired, and my husband Bill and I have been overseeing our little enterprise since 1985. In 2007, after 32 years of continuous operation, we closed our shop at Windmill Island, which was a seasonal shop. But we are still at our Dutch Village shop (on the corner of US 31 and James St. in Holland, MI) which is more of a year-around location. We have enjoyed a brisk business there since 1990, and have more recently expanded into the World Wide Web. We are a small business, and we keep it that way intentionally so that our quality is not compromised and we can be proud of every candle we sell.

If you have been to either of our shops in Holland, either at Dutch Village or Windmill Island, you have probably met us. I think our experience shows and I hope you agree. We have developed a wide variety of original designs that are unparalleled in the candle world. Each of our candle artisans usually apprentice for a year or more before their creations are offered for full-price.

Our Dutch Garden candles are what we are most well-known for, with their uniquely Holland theme. But our Wedding candles have emerged as a most sought-after gift as well. We have developed so many new designs in recent years, you will just have to take a look for yourself to see what candle most appeals to you!

-Valerie

Related searches:
carved candles, holland candles, hand carved candles, holland house